Prior Situation / Scenario:
- A leading North American Telecommunications company operating in over 20 countries across LATAM and the Caribbean under different brands.
- They provide several communications and entertainment services to residential and business customers including video, broadband internet, telephone, and mobile services.
- Company deployed a SAS Customer Engagement marketing platform (MA and RTMD), SAS Viya Visual Analytics, and a SAS Data Integration Studio.
- ETL jobs were running on SAS Cluster, based on SAS Data integration, its main database engine being an RDS Oracle.
- Increased operational costs based on Oracle DB.
- SAS dedicated instances.
- Cost’s expected growth.
Strata Solution/ Key Enablers:
- Migration and re-factoring from SAS Code and Data Integration jobs to pySpark AWS Glue jobs, orchestrated with AWS Step Functions and Apache Airflow.
- Data Lake is now based on AWS Glue catalog composed of parquet files, presented by Athena connector. Dashboards and analytics are being done on Quicksight.
- Reduction on EC2 instances due to re-clustering of High Availability SAS RTDM nodes. Reduction on RDS instance.
- Substantial Cost Reduction.
- Refactoring and Data Lake migration from SAS to AWS Serverless Glue / pyspark jobs.
- Streamlined operation and simplified pipeline tracking with Airflow.
After the migration of the SAS Data platform to AWS jobs and the orchestration with Apache Airflow, we were able to reduce database costs and reduce instances costs by a total of 30% compared to prior expenses.